I hope that the start to your school year is going well, and that you are enjoying the return to IN PERSON band practices and performances! I wanted to provide you with some updates, as we have started the biennium!
National Vice President for Student Affairs
Here is an overview of the VPSA selection process:
- The Application Window for VPSA was open from July 26, 20221 – August 23, 2021. The announcement was posted on the kkpsi.org website
- Brother Bang Co, Former VPSA Zac Humphrey, and I held a VPSA Chat on the VPSA position for interested Candidates.
- Once the application window closed and all packets were received, they were placed in a google folder for review by the National Council. We received 14 packets for consideration.
- The candidates were then ranked. We chose the top 8 candidates for zoom interviews.
- All candidates were asked the same questions and received a 30 minutes interview. National Council members provided feedback after both nights of interviews.
- From the 8 candidates interviewed, we narrowed it down to 3 candidates. We discussed the strengths and areas of concern of all 3 finalist candidates. I also gave council members the opportunity to discuss other candidates if they wished – we did discuss another candidate who ranked 4th.
- I then asked National Council members to email me their top candidate with feedback. I received emails from all voting members, who were able to come to consensus.
- The National Council then unanimously voted to recommend a candidate to the Board of trustees.
- The Board of Trustees unanimously voted to accept our recommendation.
On behalf of the National Council and Board of Trustees, it is with excitement that I announce that Brother TarShae Odom, active member of the Zeta Eta Chapter of South Carolina State University, has been appointed to the National Vice President for Student Affairs Position.
Brother Tar-Shae` Ra-Jun Odom is a non-traditional student and a Spring 2018 initiate of the Zeta Eta Chapter of Kappa Kappa Psi at South Carolina State University. As an active brother of the Zeta Eta Chapter, he currently serves as the Service Chair. Most recently, Tar-Shae` has served the fraternity as the Southeast District President, Zeta Eta Chapter President, and as a member of the National DEIA Task Force. Brother Odom is a 2021 winner of the J. Lee Burke Student Achievement award, the highest award a student of Kappa Kappa Psi can win. Throughout his time at South Carolina State University, Tar-Shae has played french horn in the South Carolina State Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Ensemble. He also played mellophone in the marching band, and this year, serves as one of the student conductors for the South Carolina State University Band Program.
On the South Carolina State University campus, Tar-Shae` serves as Chair of the National Interfraternity Music Council (NIMC), and is an advocate for student activities. Additionally, he is a member of Delta Phi Delta Dance Fraternity where he served as Chapter President of the Magnificent Mu Chapter, Southern Regional Director twice, and also National Vice President of External Affairs. Serving has played a major role in Tar-Shae’s life. Since high school, he has served as drum major, class president, school vice president, and tennis captain. Brother Odom never runs from the opportunity to serve others, and believes that the act of serving others is what matters most at the end of the day.
Outside of school and serving the band, is a full-time bar manager at the Orangeburg Country Club. He is a proud member of New Bethel Apostolic Church of Dillon, S.C. where he serves as an assistant choir director, and the keyboardist.
As a leadership team, we are excited about Brother Odom’s vision to Rediscover, Rededicate, and Reclaim to Restore. His ideas align with our national vision to help ReCharge our Brotherhood, and he is passionate about bridging gaps between students, national leadership, and alumni across the country.
The National Council will have an officer installation for Brother Odom, which will be hosted live on facebook on Monday, October 11th at 7:00pm CST/8:00 pm EST. We will also be hosting a National Council Meet and Greet session, for active members to get to know our council members, at the beginning of November. Information about registering for this session will be coming in the next few weeks!
Brothers, the Officer Installation Ceremony reminds us of the following: “Just as any melody, from the most basic motives to the most ornately crafted themes, may be enhanced by a wise use of harmony or destroyed by discord, so too is the Brotherhood. It is your duty to assist your officers in working toward the goals which animate us all.” I encourage you to reflect on these words, and take the time to be intentional to lend your assistance and support, not just to Brother Odom as he transitions to his new position, but to the rest of your National Leadership, your District Leadership, and Your Chapter Leadership. We cannot do it alone.
Brother Odom may be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to the work he will do as our 2021-2023 National Vice President for Student Affairs!
Striving to reCharge our Brotherhood,
48th National President of Kappa Kappa Psi
Life Member, Eta Alpha Chapter – Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania