August 25, 2021
Brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi, Chapter Sponsors, and Directors of Bands,
As the newly elected National President of Kappa Kappa Psi, I am excited to welcome in the 2021-2023 biennium, as well as a new school year filled with the joy of playing MUSIC!
You can find information for the 2021-2022 school year here: 2021 – 2022 Fall Informational Mailer. We hope that the use of a powerpoint format will help organize the information to make it easier to understand, and also allow chapters to use this as a tool to update members on the relevant national information and changes following the 2021 National Convention in Grand Rapids, Michigan. While the amount of content may be a bit overwhelming at first glance, I strongly encourage each Chapter to take the time to review this document during a chapter meeting. This will help ensure a strong start to the school year. If after reviewing the PowerPoint you have questions, please feel free to reach out to the National Council by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to this update, we have posted the updated 2021 Kappa Kappa Psi National Constitution to the Fraternity website. Due to the amount of changes that were made at the 2021 National Convention, the National Council created a 2021 Kappa Kappa Psi Constitutional Updates Document to help provide an overview for you. Once the 2021 National Convention minutes are finalized, we will send those to you as a link to the National Headquarters website.
Also, we have updated the PIVOT Guidance for the Fall 2021 semester. Relevant updates include:
- A waiver for band participation, which will be granted by both National Councils, on a case by case basis. However, members must still be enrolled in coursework at their college or university and be in good standing with their university or college to be active members. Waiver requests should be put into writing via email from the Chapter Sponsor with the Director of Bands cc’ed, and emailed to email@example.com.
- Additional information has been provided for conducting in-person Fraternity Rituals.
- Some Chapters may now be able to host in-person activities/events: Chapters should only host in-person social, service, membership, or fundraising activities/events during the 2021-2022 school year if the following criteria are in place:
- Your campus activities office, Dean of Students, Office of Greek Life, or other authorizing body approves your Chapter to host in-person activities/events on your campus.
- Your chapter activity/event has been approved by your Director of Bands and/or Chapter Sponsor in writing. This may include your Director of Bands and/or your Chapter Sponsor approving a semester calendar of events.
- Your Chapter follows all campus, local, state, and federal health and safety guidance.
- Your Chapter does not penalize members who feel uncomfortable attending these activities/events.
The National Council knows that each campus continues to have their own unique procedure in place while navigating the unknowns of the new variants of the virus. It is our hope that the information outlined in PIVOT! continues to be easily adaptable to every Chapter’s situation. At this time, we ask that each Chapter send any official documentation from your university as it pertains to their COVID-19 protocol to our Health and Safety team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we start the 2021-2022 academic year, I hope that you will use the resources available to you to help navigate your return to more in person operations. Your District Governors and District Officers are there to help assist and support you! You can find their contact information here: District Leadership.
Your National Council is already hard at work, thinking about how we can create the best possible membership experience for YOU! Beginning in September, you will receive regular updates on the work of the National Council and National Committees, as well as progress updates on our officer goals and charges. If you were unable to attend the 2021 National Convention this summer, I invite you to read my Incoming National President Speech, which outlines my vision and goals for the next two years to reCharge our Brotherhood. I hope you will join me in this effort!
More than anything, it is my sincere hope that as a member of Kappa Kappa Psi, you will take the time to rededicate yourself to the ideals of the order, lean in heavily to our ritualistic values, and be intentional about living our purposes in your band programs. If we can do these 3 things – then we are meeting our ritualistic obligations as Brothers of Kappa Kappa Psi.
On behalf of the entire Kappa Kappa Psi National Leadership Team, I hope that you have a fantastic start to your academic year, and we wish you the best of luck on your upcoming performance season!
Striving with you,
48th National President of Kappa Kappa Psi