The following is an outline of four sessions, which are to be used to educate new and Active members on the ritualistic and daily operations of the chapter. Consider the needs of your chapter to determine what additional topics may be necessary. This is not a lecture program, but a series of seminars where participation is critical for success. By involving Big Brothers, senior members, officers, and the Chapter Sponsor, new members will see that the ritualistic work of the Fraternity is taken seriously by the chapter. The Post-Initiate Education Program should begin the week following initiation.
Session One: The Ritual
Objective: To acquaint new Active members with the Ritual, the symbolism within, and encourage future study and discussion.
- What are the major themes for each Degree? What lessons are learned as initiates complete each Degree?
- What secrets are revealed within the Ritual? Discuss why these secrets must not be shared with non-members.
- Discuss each Oath taken and its importance to Kappa Kappa Psi.
- Discuss the history of the Ritual, its origin and changes through the years.
- Discuss the installation of officers and the ceremony used for this installation.
Session Two: National and Chapter Constitutions
Objective: To develop and understanding of the National Constitution and working knowledge of the Chapter Constitution.
- Discuss the importance of the National Constitution and its relation to the Chapter Constitution and Bylaws.
- Explain the hierarchical aspect of the Fraternity. How do the constitutions reinforce this structure?
Session Three: The Good Member
Objective: To express through group discussion how each member will apply the lessons learned in the Ritual and the Membership Education Program to his or her own life in the chapter and after graduation.
- Discuss the responsibilities of a Good Member:
- Band Participation/Service
- Chapter Involvement
- Honorable Conduct
- Financial Integrity
- Academic Achievement
- Explain how the Fraternity’s motto relates to being a good member.
- Why is the Big Brother program important? How can it be improved?
- Discuss the expectations of each Active Member.
- Discuss the contribution each member expects to make to Kappa Kappa Psi.
Session Four: The STAR (Start Treating Alcohol Responsibly) Program
Objective: To discuss the use/abuse of alcohol and controlled substances on college and university campuses and to understand how the Kappa Kappa Psi Policy on Alcohol and Controlled Substances affects all levels of the Fraternity.
- Go through the STAR program.
- Discuss the insights presented in the STAR program and how they relate to the Fraternity.
- Discuss the Policy on Alcohol and Controlled Substances and how it relates to all levels of Kappa Kappa Psi.