The Road to Wisdom
A National Vision
The National Membership Education Program: The Road to Wisdom is an effort to bring together the many beliefs, values, and ideas of what Membership Education should be and turn them into a program with direction, purpose, and vision. The program is focused on outcomes that represent the beliefs and values of our Fraternity. The content is driven by skills and ideas that are useful and beneficial to all members as they take this journey. The program is an initial step to creating a framework for future members that establish new behaviors and ideas that will unify all every brother across the country in Kappa Kappa Psi’s beliefs, language, and brotherhood.
Impact on Your Chapter
For some Directors of Bands and Chapter Sponsors, this change in approach to Membership Education will be similar to what you have seen in the past. For others, this culture change will upend years of previously held beliefs and practices. It is important to note that up until this time, the Fraternity had not made significant changes to Membership Education in almost fifteen (15) years. During this time, the cultures of college campuses and band programs have changed dramatically, causing the Fraternity to take steps to ensure the vision and mission are still being met.
The Road to Wisdom is the only accepted Membership Education Plan allowed. It is the expectation of the National Council that all chapters comply with this program, and adhere strictly to the guidelines and standards voted on by the active membership. Students will be provided with the resources need to implement this curriculum and instruct Membership Candidates. In doing so, we are ensuring that the education process focuses on the growth and development of each individual, and thus, the entire band program.
At the end of this program, Brothers will:
- Be empowered to promote and advance musicianship, leadership, and service within their band program and campus.
- Be equipped with the knowledge, skills, and resources to represent their band program and university with professionalism, leadership, collaboration, and connection with peers.
- Foster a national identity and an inclusive, positive culture based on the mission, vision, and values of Kappa Kappa Psi.
- Exhibit a working knowledge of Fraternity structure and obligations at the chapter, district, and national levels.
- Demonstrate practical life skills including risk-taking, adaptability, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
What Directors of Bands and Sponsors Should Take Away
- Directors of Bands and Chapter Sponsors will have the security of knowing what their students are learning in their Membership Education program. Ultimately, the local chapter is another extension of the band program, and The Road to Wisdom will introduce concepts of utilizing musicianship, leadership, and service as a foundation for chapter activities.
- Kappa Kappa Psi is here to support every campus Director of Bands and Chapter Sponsor and wants to create or continue to the foster the relationship you have with Kappa Kappa Psi.
By implementing The Road to Wisdom, this as an opportunity to hit the refresh button with your local chapter in order to gain a deeper understanding of what the group may look like and how the curriculum aligns with who Kappa Kappa Psi is on your campus.